WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Projects in development, production, or post-production. Distribution or engagement does not qualify.
- Well-written and well-researched proposals.
- Team leadership must reflect the communities whose story is being told.
- Strong work samples (for films in production or post-production).
- Feasibility of the project (budget, financing, schedule, and scope).
- Confirmed access to subjects and story.
- Originality of form, approach, or content.
- Potential to generate public discourse.
- Funds may not be used to cover previously incurred expenses.
- Applicants may submit only one project per funding cycle.
- Previously funded projects should not apply for the same grant, even if in a different stage of production.
- Grantees must submit narrative and financial reports during the course of the grant period, along with photos, other publicity materials, and credits when available.
- SDF support must be acknowledged with a tag line and logo-of similar size and stature to other logos in the credits-at the end credits of the film as well as on all publicity and promotional materials relating to the production.
- Applicants must have a US social security number or US federal tax ID number.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Projects must be non-fiction documentaries.
- Applicants must own the copyright of their production, and have editorial and budgetary control over their project.
- Applicants must not be enrolled in a film school or seeking funds for a student project.
- You do not need a fiscal sponsor in order to apply for a grant.
- New, emerging and established makers are encouraged to apply.
Previous Grant Recipients
A Love Supreme: Black, Christian, and Queer in the South (working title) by Kyndra Frazier & Katina Parker
Chinese American Voters Project (working title) by Yi Chen
JIG SHOW: Leon Claxton’s Harlem in Havana by Leslie Cunningham
This Taco Truck Kills Fascists by Rodrigo Dorfman
OVERLAND by Elisabeth Haviland James & Revere La Noue
Always In Season by Jaqueline Olive
Burden Of Proof by Cynthia Hill
Farmsteaders by Shaena Mallett
Reach Back and Fetch It: The Carolina Chocolate Drops Story by John Whitehead
I, Destini by Nicholas Pilarski & Destini Riley
The Nine-Month Withdrawal by Ashley Panzera
Red Wolf Revival by Roshan Patel & Madison McClintock
United Skates by Tina Brown & Dyana Winkler
Raising Bertie by Margaret Byrne
The Last Barn Dance by Jason Arthurs
Living Off the Line: Stories from The Clothesline Muse by Lana Garland
Furniture Workers Story by Phoebe Brush
2017 SDF Filmmaking Grant Panelists
S. Leo Chiang, Filmmaker
Sonya Childress, Firelight Media
Teresa Hollingsworth, South Arts
2016 SDF Filmmaking Grant Panelists
Duong-Chi Do, ITVS
N’Jeri Eaton, NPR
Carlos Sandoval, Camino Bluff Productions
2015 SDF Filmmaking Grant Panelists
Katy Chevigny, Big Mouth Productions
Seth Gadsden, Indie Grits Film Festival
Jacquie Jones, Jacquie Jones Media
2014 SDF Filmmaking Grant Panelists
Eric Martin, ITVS
Molly Murphy, Working Films
Amy Shumaker, SCETV