WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Projects in pre-production, production, or post-production. Distribution or engagement does not qualify.
- Well-written and well-researched proposals.
- Team leadership must reflect the communities whose story is being told. (“Nothing About Us Without Us!”)
- Strong work samples (for films in production or post-production).
- Feasibility of the project (budget, financing, schedule, and scope).
- Confirmed access to subjects and story.
- Originality of form, approach, or content.
- Potential to generate public discourse.
- Funds may not be used to cover previously incurred expenses.
- Applicants may submit only one project per funding cycle.
- Previously funded projects should not apply for the same grant, even if in a different stage of production.
- Grantees must submit narrative and financial reports during the course of the grant period, along with photos, other publicity materials, and credits when available.
- SDF support must be acknowledged with a tag line and logo-of similar size and stature to other logos in the credits-at the end credits of the film as well as on all publicity and promotional materials relating to the production.
- Applicants must have a US social security number or US federal tax ID number.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Projects must be non-fiction documentaries.
- Applicants must own the copyright of their production, and have editorial and budgetary control over their project.
- Applicants must not be enrolled in a film school or seeking funds for a student project.
- You do not need a fiscal sponsor in order to apply for a grant.
- New, emerging and established makers are encouraged to apply.